Tuesday, 24 May 2011

Auditions, Accents and Duvets

The last play I was in I was wearing a duvet and a tin foil crown; granted I was only six at the time. I knew of the summer shows held in our school but I never went to any of the auditons - due to the fact that we only perform musicals and I am as agile as a brick and sing like a pigeon being killed by a cat. But this year I tagged along after a recommendation from my drama teacher. I was surprised at just how seriously we take our musicals. Hundreds of hopeful Billy Eliots showed up for first day audtions, all ushered into the canteen to stretch their ligaments and gurgle water. I remember the total horror that befell me as I was pushed through a dance assessment and vocal test - knowing that any chance I had of getting through to the next level was very slim.

When finally it was my turn to show my acting abilities, I was greeted by an even bigger challenge... the American accent! Standing with script in hand and my co-star at my side, Mr Gillingham asked,
"Can you do an American accent?"
To which my only reply was,
"No"
But I could do a West Country accent and my co-star could do a very impressive Irish one. After about a minute of this, both the assessing drama teachers declared, "enough!" while trying to restrain hysterics.

I was sure that I had no chance in hell of even being allowed to clean up after the show, going by my audition, which would have been best suited for a part in Poldark. But to my surprise, one day while wandering past the drama block, I caught sight of my name on the call back sheet ... and here I am, almost two months later and playing the part of Wilbur, the father of Tracy.

This whole experience has taught me that you really musn't underestimate your abilities (and that you can overestimate the standards of others!) I do beg forgiveness of all of you who are coming to the summer show - I have a duet and an American accent that goes all over the 52 states.

By Siana Brett

No comments:

Post a Comment